Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Divorce in PHL

The Philippines, a Catholic country, seems (or rather obviously) very scared with the idea of divorce. Not that I can foresee one being successfully passed as a law in our country in a few years, but since the men in robes have started expressing their disgust about it recently, then, by all means, I'll talk about it. 

What is so threatening about divorce? Above all, this nation has been and still is very proud of its Catholicism. About 80% (please forgive me for my estimate, if you think it should be higher then I have no objections to that) of Filipinos are Roman Catholics. And the Catholic Church, I believe, has ever since been preaching about the Bible, preaching about how to live upright, preaching about moral values, preaching about what's wrong or right and have acted as our visible conscience from time to time. So what's the problem? If the church has been successful (yes it is but I think the priests are underestimating themselves) in it's role to guide and enlighten the lives of Filipinos then why be scared? Nobody would even care about the idea of divorce if they strongly adhere to what the church promotes. The question is, can't you (the church) be more vigilant, more religious, more aggressive in promoting family values so that you wont have to tremble in fear? Or have you started to doubt yourselves? Will divorce overpower the your capacity to influence your members? 

Second, the whole divorce thing has a process. You have to have valid grounds such as, ABUSE, INFIDELITY and a whole list more. It is not aimed to destroy marriages at all. It is aimed to help those whose lives were destroyed by marriage, those whose lives suffered because of marriage and those whose lives are in danger because of marriage. Count the number of couples who have opted their marriages to be annulled or who simply opted to live separately and you'll realize how common it is. Divorce will not introduce the idea of separation, it will only legalize it.  (What's the buzz about it when annulment is allowed anyway?) But then again, divorce is a tedious process. It's not like filing one today and having it ratified the next day. No. Please, divorce is not easy. Get over that! That's another motivation not to file one—the process. 

Third, divorce, I believe, will not devalue marriage. It will in fact be a means for Filipinos to ponder on the true meaning of marrying someone—one whom they can live with and face troubles with for a lifetime to avoid the dark path to divorce (I do not want to talk further about standards of choosing a partner as everyone has his/her standard). But I'm sure, women most specially would be more careful and more empowered with it. Who would marry just to get divorced anyway? (Well, yes, schemes will start coming to mind but aren't we citizens who strongly stick to our values or have you also doubted that?) I mean, if couples have married for love then by all means, let them prove it by overcoming the challenge of having to get divorced.


Am I for it or not? For it. But I doubt if that will be given due consideration in the Philippines. (Nothing is impossible though)


Disclaimer: I only mentioned about the Roman Catholic Church/Roman Catholicism, it being the dominant 'church'  in the Philippines and who as expected, has expressed it's strong opposition to such bill. I am aware of the presence of other religions (as I am an Episcopalian) and that they are also equally promoting strong moral values for the welfare of Filipinos. As to the stand of each religion in this issue, I opted not to touch on as this was not about who is against it or not.  I am no expert  on the issue but that won't keep me from airing my view on that, being a citizen of this nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers