Friday, June 24, 2011

Re: Same-sex Union

Link to Sunstar Article: Same-sex mass wedding shocks bishop


Bishop Carlito Cenzon on Same-Sex Marriage:


"Same-sex wedding is wrong and cannot be called a holy union. Naawa tayo sa kanila kasi nagmamahalan sila pero hindi sila pwedeng ikasal. (We pity them, they love each other but they cannot be wed.)  Wedding should involve only a woman and a man."   
 "A same-sex holy union is an insult to the Roman Catholic Church, and that local officials should not support activities like this."


What immediately came into my stirred up mind upon reading such?


  1. Wrong? Says who? Yes the Bible or did it really say outright? But anyway who can debate with the Holy Bible. (And I dont want to talk about the Bible, I'm no theologian and no Manny Pacquiao.) What is so wrong about a same-sex union (keeping the Bible aside), tell me!? That it is against social norms? That it will be a threat to Filipino values?  Then again, is it wrong to go against social norms? What values are they going against with anyway? They also deserve the right to celebrate their love too as any other couple. 
  2. Right, it is an insult to the Roman Catholic Church. Why does it always have to be about the Roman Catholic Church? Do you think other religious groups will care so much if you think they have insulted you for what they believe is right? Do you think they will always consider your standards? FYI, they are not Catholics, not part of you're church thus they are not obliged to go the Vatican way. If you feel insulted, try suing them, on what grounds or what crime, its for you to ponder upon. (And please don't be so quick to judge what gay people want. Realize that you have in your churches gay priests who are either slightly out in the open or completely hiding in their closets feeling stabbed in the heart for every negative remark you say about what they want to fight for )
  3. And here comes the toll order: "Local officials should not support activities like this."  When will the so-called "Separation of the Church and State" ever be fully effective? If you wanted to run a country, then why didn't just choose to be politicians in the first place? 


 No, I do not have anything against the Bishop (whom I always prayed for when I used to attend masses at Saint Louis University and the Baguio Cathedral, of course the churches here in Manila are mentioning another Bishop during the intercessions). It's just that such statements will always raise questions.

I am aware that even the greater public is against same-sex unions. Well, no matter how awkward and absurd it is, the fact is, we can never eliminate their desire to be together or to be wed. You may also want to shove it down their throats that it wont be legally binding, it won't matter to them as they are not dumb not to know that there is still no law legalizing same-sex marriage in the Philippines. Nobody is forcing you to agree with their choices, but they are humans too, (they are not to be pitied upon because I think that the gay/lesbian community is empowered enough and please they have brilliant brains, they work hard, they are humans! ) and they deserve no less than the same respect we give other people and no less than the happiness we want for ourselves.

Yes this has been impulsively written and I don't think I would have said otherwise if thought about it longer. 

2 comments:

  1. hey! i like your commentary. ya ya ya.. Is CATHOLIC a NATIONAL or INTERNATIONAL RELIGION??? How could they be so judgmental on 3rd sex. Well no offense to the Catholics. This are only my opinions and I'll use my right to express myself.

    1) Do even the Catholic Church knows that a lot of Catholics belong to the 3rd sex? Anyway, if their mission is to spread a good life, how could they say such things. The Bible is also not a NATIONAL book or an INTERNATIONAL book. People here on earth are not all Christians. Some of them are pagans or belong to a sect wherein they don't care whether they are gay or not. What's the use of the SEPARATION OF THE CHURCH AND THE STATE?

    2) Philippines is a DEMOCRATIC country and all people have equal rights and still, DISCRIMINATION happens. Don't they know that a lot of people belonging to the 3rd sex move out from the country and go to other places wherein they can express themselves and be loved and cared for who they are? Happy for those who are in Thailand.

    3)Do people belonging to the 3rd sex really wanted to be gays, lesbians etc.? HELL NO!! Once we were born we cannot choose our gender or sex. And I know that a lot of 3rd sex people are seeking answers why are they like that or like this. Crying every night, asking the Man up above why are they like this. People seem to judge 3rd sex people not knowing what they have been through. Hardships in socializing especially in school. What would people want 3rd sex people do? Suicide??

    4) Well I'm GAY. I'm ashamed of myself before. But now, I knew that there are a lot of people are like me and felt all the things that I've been through. I'm proud of myself now. Thank God my family have accepted me and loved me the way I am and raised me well. I think there is nothing wrong in being gay, your'e not even doing a crime. Hello?

    5) I am studying in a Catholic university. I picked that school because they have high standards. There was a time in my Philosophy class when we were discussing ETHICAL NORMS specifically in Societal NORMS. The instructor gave an example. It was about CROSS-DRESSING. I am a cross dresser. So what?? As if I'm making a scandal.While the instructor asked the class, have you seen a cross-dresser? All my classmates stared at me. WTF? I was so embarrassed, humiliated and felt like the world had fell on me. I really wanted to evaporate at that time. I acted like nothing was wrong. When I got home I was really crying. I wanted to transfer to a liberated school who doesn't care on how students dress. Why is it OK for girls to wear guy clothes while not OK for Boys to wear girl clothes?? Anyway, my pain inside had kinda enlightened up when our dean told that the school accepts and doesn't choose whoever enrolls, the requirement is just respect one another. THANK YOU DEAN!

    People belonging to the 3rd sex are not "SALUT SA LIPUNAN". We are useful and and I know being like us have a purpose. Just remember the line from a LADY GAGA song, "NO MATTER GAY STRAIGHT OR BI TRANSGENDER LESBIAN LIFE I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK BABY I WAS BORN THIS WAY". And as for religion, it was written in the Bible that "LOVE ONE ANOTHER AS YOU LOVE YOURSELF". We are now living in a modern world and please understand the things around us.

    BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE AND NOTHING CAN HINDER YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Yoo Na for the time. And the your opinions, they matter, so keep up the spirit! You have related the realities that LGBT are facing and it saddens me that some people still have not grown, that they still find it hard to make you exist peacefully in this world. But nevertheless, there are more people who can now openly say, "We got your back". We are living in the era of supposedly a modern world, a world expected be bold at making changes and brave to accept the same but the process is slower than I think. We have created, in the past, a set of norms that are hard to abolish, that are hard to rule out. But let's be optimistic, the rest of the world will realize this soon. Be proud Yoo na. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete

Followers